Monaco Grand Prix LIVE: Charles Leclerc suffers gearbox drama BEFORE the race with Max Verstappen now set to start from pole – while Lewis Hamilton moves up to sixth on the grid
- Charles Leclerc took a surprise pole position for Ferrari at the Monaco Grand Prix
- But he suffered gearbox problems on his way to the grid before the race
- Max Verstappen is now on pole position with Valtteri Bottas alongside him
- Lewis Hamilton could only qualify seventh but will now start sixth
- Latest Formula One news, including race schedule and results
The Dutchman is the Hamilton’s chief title rival in the championship and starts second on the grid behind surprise pole sitter Charles Leclerc who is hoping to lead the team to their first win in two years.
Meanwhile, Hamilton could only qualify a disappointing seventh around Monte Carlo and will be hoping for damage limitation to his world championship lead on race day.
Follow Sportsmail’s DAN RIPLEY for live Formula One coverage of the Monaco Grand Prix, including build-up, race updates and result.