Floyd Mayweather’s induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame delayed until 2022 as the ceremony is postponed due to Covid-19 for the second year running
- The International Boxing Hall of Fame has postponed its induction ceremony
- The undefeated Floyd Mayweather was due to be inducted in the Class of 2021
- This is the second time the ceremony has been postponed due to Covid-19
- Three Classes are now set to be celebrated in June 2022 in Canastota
Mayweather, who won 11 world titles with a 50-0 undefeated record, was announced in December as a first-ballot nominee for the Class of 2021.
With 2020’s ceremony also postponed due to the pandemic, three classes will now be celebrated in The Hall of Fame Weekend Induction Trilogy in Canastota, New York, from June 9-12 next year.
Floyd Mayweather’s induction to the International Boxing Hall of Fame has been postponed
The decision means the induction of Bernard Hopkins, Juan Manuel Marquez and ‘Sugar’ Shane Mosley has been delayed for a second time.
Inductees for the Class of 2022 will be voted on and announced later this year.
A statement from Hall of Fame executive director Edward Brophy read: ‘Following last year’s Induction Weekend cancellation, the Hall of Fame recognises the importance of pausing another round of induction celebrations.
Bernard Hopkins (left) and ‘Sugar’ Shane Mosley (right), as well as Juan Manuel Marquez, have now had their inductions into the Hall of Fame postponed for a second time until 2022
‘However, the word “trilogy” is synonymous with boxing, and if there is one sport and one location that could have the perfect setting for an Induction Trilogy, it is the sport of boxing and the place is Canastota.’
Wladimir Klitschko, unbeaten female boxer Laila Ali and former Olympic champion Andre Ward were also set to be inducted with Mayweather this summer.
Speaking after his nomination last year, Mayweather said he was humbled to have been recognised for his achievements in the sport.
He said: ‘It is a great honour for me to be inducted as a first-ballot nominee.
Mayweather was announced in December as a first-ballot nominee for the Class of 2021
‘Throughout my career, I gave everything I could to the sport of boxing, and now to be recognised by one of the most prestigious honours in the sport for that hard work and dedication is very humbling.’
The 43-year-old was due to take on YouTuber Logan Paul in an exhibition fight this month but the social media star confirmed the fight will now take place at a later date.
Mayweather has not fought in over two years and just once since he knocked out Conor McGregor in 2017 in another exhibition bout.