Less than a third of Sadiq Khan’s ULEZ scrappage scheme applications approved despite the expansion having already been rolled out earlier this week
- Less than a third of Ulez scrappage pleas were approved before expannsion
Less than a third of Ulez scrappage scheme applications were approved in the run-up to the emission zone’s expansion.
The disclosure has raised fears that thousands of vulnerable, hard-pressed drivers and businesses are being forced to pay £12.50 daily.
Internal City Hall figures, seen by the Daily Mail, show that just 12,893 of 41,055 applications (32 per cent) had been approved by August 17.
London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan said ULEZ scrappage applications would stop vulnerable or hard-pressed drivers paying the fee
Anti-ULEZ protestors demonstrate outside The Royal Courts of Justice on July 28
For drivers receiving child benefit, low income and disability benefits just 6,095 of 16,555 (37 per cent) were approved. Just 81 out of 281 charities got the go-ahead, 2,954 of 7,846 micro businesses, 204 of 1,137 small businesses and 3,559 of 15,235 sole traders.
Perhaps most worryingly, just 1,790 of 3,973 applications (45 per cent) asking for a grace period in relation to people on disability benefits had been approved.
Mr Khan revealed this week a further 15,000 applications to the scheme were made last week, meaning the backlog may be greater.
Tory MP Louie French said: ‘These alarming figures highlight how the Labour Mayor is desperately failing to support hard-working people. He is badly failing all Londoners,’
The scrappage scheme gives non-compliant drivers up to £2,000 towards replacing their vehicle.
A Transport for London spokesman said: ‘Applications may be at very different stages of the process.’