Mother shares hack to remove green mould from the walls of her baby’s room – but is warned NOT to put her child back in the cleaned-up nursery
- Chloe Green took to Facebook to seek advice on removing dangerous mould
- Used distilled vinegar and a mould remover to get rid of stains in baby’s room
- However, others warned combination of products could give off harmful toxins
A mother who shared how she removed extensive green mould from her baby daughter’s room in just an hour found herself been warned not to put her child back in the cleaned-up room.
Chloe Green, from Northampton, took to a cleaning Facebook group to ask other parents their advice, after she removed mould with a combination of two products: mould remover and distilled vinegar.
The mother was advised that the cocktail of vinegar and strong cleaning products, the majority of which contain bleaching agents, could release dangerous chemicals into her daughter’s bedroom – and told her to make sure she airs out the room for a few days before returning her child there.
Sharing before and after pictures of her wall, the mother said of her cleaning transformation: ‘I noticed a small brown mark above my babies cot yesterday to realize when I moved it out there was loads of mould at the bottom of the wall.
Chloe Green, from Northampton took to a cleaning Facebook group to ask other parents their advice, after she removed mould with a combination of mould remover and distilled vinegar
‘I sprayed distilled vinegar and left for an hour then rinsed with water they sprayed black mould remover which left the wall mould-free.
‘Once I noticed the mould I slept my baby in my room. Now I’ve cleaned it today do you think she will be okay to sleep in there again? Looking for advice’.
The post sparked over 100 comments, and one concerned fellow mother revealed that she had found out ‘the hard way’ that bleach should never be mixed with vinegar, saying: ‘No, not until the vinegar and bleach have completely aired, probably a couple of days.’
One concerned fellow mother revealed that she had found out ‘the hard way’ that bleach should never be mixed with vinegar
‘This releases harmful gases just as bad as the mould, vinegar and bleach should never cross paths – not even a little bit… vinegar was the right thing to try though.’
Mixing bleach and vinegar creates chlorine gas, a toxic chemical that is potentially deadly at high levels.
Another worried parent said: ‘I would have another night with your baby in your room and have the window open in that room to air it out completely of any cleaning products that are still in room’.
‘I would not advise putting a child in a room with mould remover – its bleach and toxic – leave it a while and aired!’, commented a third.
Other worried parents advised airing out the bedroom before returning the baby to make sure there is no mould or harmful toxins lingering
A fourth wrote: ‘I would give it another night or even two, you wouldn’t want the baby inhaling the fumes from the mould remover. I would paint it over with paint, that’s for damp and mould’.
Elsewhere, other mothers seemed concerned that the mould itself could still be damaging, as it wasn’t properly removed in the first place.
‘In my experience it will soon return. Not enough ventilation in the room. Best not put cot in corner again,’ advised one.
Another said: ‘Be careful with the wee one. That mould looks pretty bad and although the wall looks good now its likely to return unless you find the cause and treat it. Could be rising damp, or a leak somewhere.
Elsewhere, other mothers seemed concerned that the mould itself could still be damaging, as it wasn’t properly removed in the first place
‘Mould and mildew give off spores and they can cause medical problems. Now that you’ve cleaned it, leave it a few days and see what happens.’
‘I personally wouldn’t put my child back in this room, it’s mould and until the issue is fixed it will come back. I wouldn’t risk it at all, it can be very harmful’, another commented.
One more said: ‘I would definitely not put your little one back in there until you are 1000% sure it’s gone and not coming back – very dangerous especially for babies.’