Raheem Sterling could rejoin England’s World Cup camp in Qatar as early as FRIDAY having flown back to London following a burglary at his home… but he only has a slim chance of featuring in Saturday’s quarter-final against France
The FA were on Wednesday night looking into the logistics of a return to the England camp for Raheem Sterling — though his chances of playing a significant role in Saturday’s World Cup quarter-final against France are diminishing after the player remained in London on Wednesday.
A statement on the plans of the Chelsea forward — who returned home on Sunday night from Qatar following a break-in at the family home — is expected on Thursday morning.
There is a possibility he could be back by Friday, with his camp asking the FA to look into arranging a return. However, Sportsmail understands Sterling is not expected at training on Thursday afternoon. And should he decide to rejoin his team-mates on Thursday he will have missed large chunks of vital preparation ahead of Saturday’s showdown.
Raheem Sterling is considering rejoining the England camp after flying home on Sunday night to attend to a burglary at his Surrey home
Sterling (pictured right) with girlfriend Paige Milian (middle) and his three children
Sterling flew home before England’s 3-0 win over Senegal. At the time his spokesperson said armed raiders had entered the property while his family were at home.
But police later said the theft, of jewellery and watches, was discovered when the family returned from Qatar and added they had had no reports of armed intruders.
Surrey Police said on Wednesday that they had arrested two men on suspicion of burglary following reports of suspicious activity in Oxshott and were working to establish if they were connected to the break-in at Sterling’s home nearby.
Gareth Southgate previously said he would not put pressure on Sterling to rejoin the squad
However, the hopes of Sterling playing a significant role against France are diminishing, with the Chelsea star having missed large chunks of preparation ahead of Saturday’s showdown
The men were spotted acting suspiciously in a garden on Tuesday. The force later issued a statement saying they did not believe there to be a link.
They are still investigating the report of burglary at Sterling’s home and are yet to make any arrests.
A spokesperson added: ‘Officers are carrying out enquiries into the circumstances and the investigation remains on-going.’
The FA again declined to comment but some clarification is expected on Thursday. The door is thought to remain open for the player, but the clock is ticking.