Danny Tetley pleaded guilty to getting his victims to send him explicit images of themselves
An X Factor semi-finalist has admitted the sexual exploitation of seven teenage boys after he exchanged more than 10,000 messages with the youngsters.
Danny Tetley pleaded guilty to getting his victims, many as young as 14, to send him explicit images of themselves – some at the most serious Category A – for money.
The 39-year-old, who came sixth in last year’s X Factor, exchanged more than 10,000 WhatsApp messages with the seven boys between October, last year, and August, this year.
The singer has faced a troubled year after spectacularly falling from grace when footage emerged of him snorting a line of cocaine, claiming to have to been ‘treating himself’ after working so hard.
In the clip he stated he had ‘worked his a*** off for everything he has and this is how I enjoy my time’.
It subsequently emerged he had been sending the sordid messages to the teenage boys.
Series 15 of the X Factor ran from September 1 2018 to December 2 2018, with some of the offences having been committed in the October.
It is not yet know whether the youngsters had been fans of Tetley and had been speaking to him because of the show, or whether they had previously been in contact with him.
Many of his victims’ families sat in the public gallery at Bradford Crown Court to hear him admit his offences.
He appeared in custody dressed in a black spotty t-shirt and glasses.
At an earlier hearing, which could not be reported because there may have been a jury trial, the Benidorm entertainer, pleaded guilty to the sexual exploitation of two 14-year-old boys.
This morning he admitted five further charges of the sexual exploitation of five more youngsters by inducing them to provide him with indecent images of themselves for payment.
Tetley is pictured above with X Factor judge Simon Cowell during his stint on the TV show
Tetley (pictured above on the X Factor) had previously had to apologise after being caught on camera taking cocaine
The court heard two of the victims supplied images of Category A.
According to the Crown Prosecution Service, a Category A image would show ‘images involving penetrative sexual activity, sexual activity with an animal or sadism’.
Category B images depict images involving non-penetrative sexual activity, while Category C images would be classed as indecent images which don’t fall in Category A or B.
Tetley, of Bradford, West Yorks, pleaded not guilty to making indecent images of children and perverting the course of justice – he will not stand trial for those offences.
Prosecutor Michael Smith said: ‘These pleas are acceptable and we will not seek to try any.’
He said the police investigation is now complete into the seven different victims. We have nothing else in the pipeline,’ he said.
Defence barrister Andrew Dallas asked for sentencing to be adjourned because he needs more time to go through the messages.
‘There are over 10,000 text of WhatsApp messages that have been served on us,’ said Mr Dallas.
Tetley is pictured above (second) with Ayda Williams, Dermot O’Leary, Brendan Murray and Louis Tomlinson on Series 15 of the X Factor
He said the defence need to assess the ‘nature of the relationship between himself and each of the boys.’
Recorder of Bradford Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC will sentence Tetley on 24 January.
The singer showed no emotion as he was remanded back into custody.
He has strenuously denied the offences and previously said: ‘I’m an innocent man. I’m without a doubt being set up.
‘I’ve heard these accusations before with different kind of things, it’s just people just out to earn a few quid.’
He first appeared on television back in 2001 on Pop Idol before taking another shot at fame 17 years later on the X Factor.
Earlier this year a video emerged of Tetley boasting about taking cocaine. He was caught on camera snorting a huge line of the drug, claiming he was ‘treating himself’ after working hard on the X Factor.
Tetley was caught on camera snorting cocaine and claimed he deserved it because of how hard he worked on X Factor (performing pictured above)
It was previously reported by The Sun that he had claimed it was a ‘world record’ line.
However, he later went of to defend his mistake and released a statement which said: ‘I am not going to try to attempt to defend this video, it is something I am not proud of. I take full responsibility for my actions and I would encourage anybody battling their demons to seek professional help.’
‘I have always been open about my past and I only hope that I am able to turn a negative into a positive, by trying to encourage those who see this video to seek help.’
He added that he was ‘heartbroken’ to learn that his friends had betrayed him.
‘As I prepare to go into recovery, I will be re-evaluating my friendships and who I can trust to support me.’
The former singer had also previously spoken out about how he had been mocked for having a cleft lip.